I found this recipe in a holiday cookbook by Gooseberry Patch. I love the smooth creaminess of it. It has the yummiest smell as it is cooking. You might be tempted to leave out the peanut butter (as I was) when you smell how good it smells but trust me...the peanut butter is good! Mmmmm....Then top it off with some of the Nutmeg-Molasses Cream. Wow! You've gotta try the cream!
Sweet Potato-Peanut Soup with Nutmeg-Molasses Cream
1 Tbsp. non-dairy butter or olive oil
1/2 large sweet onion, chopped
2 small celery ribs, diced
2 carrots, sliced
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper (cayenne)-I would use half this amount if children are eating or omit all together
1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
3 1/4 cups vegetable broth
1 cup non-dairy milk
1/2 cup natural creamy peanut butter
Nutmeg-Molasses Cream
Chopped toasted peanuts, if desired
Melt butter in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add onion, celery, carrots, and red pepper and saute over medium heat 3 minutes. Add sweet potato cubes and chicken broth; cook over medium heat 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Process mixture, in batches, in an electric blender or food processor until smooth. Return mixture to Dutch oven; whisk in half-and-half and peanut butter. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes, stirring often. Serve with Nutmeg-Molasses Cream and chopped toasted peanuts. Serves 8.
Nutmeg Molasses Cream
1 recipe Cashew Cream
3 Tbsp. molasses
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
Gradually beat molasses and nutmeg into Cashew Cream. Chill until ready to serve. Makes about 2 cups.

2 comments:
I found your blog through a friend. I am making this soup for dinner tonight. I just made the nutmeg molasses cream. I used blackstrap molasses because that is what I had. What kind of molasses do you use? Was your "cream" thick? Does it thicken as it chills? Thanks!
I just use regular cooking molasses or unsulphured molasses. Unsulphured molasses has the best flavor in my opinion. I'm sure blackstrap molasses would work but you might want to reduce the amount since blackstrap tends to be a lot stronger, less sweet, and a little bitter.
As far as thickening the cream, it does thicken a little during refrigeration but the best way to make sure it's thick is to make it with less water. You want to just barely cover the cashews with water instead of the one inch over the top. But even if it's not as thick...it still tastes great on the soup :)
Hope that helps! I'm probably too late for this round but maybe next time! Hope you enjoyed it!
Post a Comment