This is such a yummy soup and so easy to put together. It is from Oh She Glows but I changed it up a bit. I added two cans of Great Northern beans and some chopped kale and used a bottle of Shiitake Soy Ginger sauce instead of Worchestershire sauce. I just happened to have it on hand and it sounded really good. It's an all natural sauce with no added fat and it is tasty! But if you don't have it, I'm sure this soup would be good anyway. I'm sure we'll find out because I'll definitely be making this one again! Sorry about the terrible picture. It was an afterthought. We were hungry and I had to steal this mug from one of the kids. (They like eating their soup in a mug lately.) I also blended mine too much. If you want to see really appetizing pictures of this amazing soup then go on over to the Oh She Glows link above! I'll try to remember to take another picture next time I make it. :)
Mushroom Millet Soup
1 cup uncooked millet (or Quinoa)
2 pounds fresh cremini mushrooms, sliced (I just used regular white mushrooms this time)
4 cups chopped sweet onion
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
7.5 cups vegetable broth
salt & pepper to taste
2 Tbsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce
2 cups finely chopped kale
Garnish: toasted walnuts, fresh herbs, etc.
In a pot or skillet, "toast" the dry millet over medium heat for 4 minutes or so until it has a nutty aroma. This adds more flavor. (If using quinoa, make sure you rinse first.) Add 1 1/2 cups of water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, for about 20 minutes. Fluff with fork.
While millet is cooking, in a large pot over medium-low heat, add a bit of oil (about 1 tsp.) along with the chopped onion and minced garlic. Sautee for about 5 minutes until transparent, stirring frequently. Add sliced mushrooms and cook over medium heat for about 15 minutes until most of the water cooks off.
Stir in broth, along with seasonings (salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce). Add only about half of the salt to begin, adding the rest to taste right before serving. Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
Scoop half of the mixture and beans into a blender and blend until almost smooth but still a bit chunky. Add back into the pot. Alternatively, you can use an immersion blender, but be sure to leave it nice and chunky.
Stir in cooked millet and chopped kale. Season to taste and serve with a garnish of toasted walnuts, garlic bread, fresh parsley, or anything that you like!


No comments:
Post a Comment