Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Bean & Veggie Quesadillas

I'm not sure what to call these.  I cook them like a quesadilla but there isn't any cheese.  Of course you could add some vegan cheese sauce to it and that is delicious, too.  I normally make these as a "quick" or "spur-of-the-moment" meal so I normally don't have the cheese sauce handy.  But occasionally I'm lucky and have leftovers to use.  These are quick and simple and a great meal to make in a hurry.  One of our favorites.  The ones in the picture look a little non colorful.  I thought I had tomatoes but all I found was an empty container.  My kids eat grape tomatoes like they're...well...grapes!  Hard to keep them around!  But you get the idea.  Any of your favorite veggies work.  I usually serve these with salad.


Bean & Veggie Quesadillas

Whole grain tortillas
Refried beans (or leftover Un-Refried Beans which is the BEST)
Chopped veggies:  cucumber, tomato, olives, avocado, corn, onions, peppers, spinach, etc.
"Cheese" sauce
Vegan Ranch Dressing
Salsa
Guacamole

Heat large skillet or griddle.  You can oil or spray the tortillas if desired but I usually skip it.  They still get nice and crispy.  Spread beans over bottom tortilla.  Sprinkle chopped veggies over beans (or optionally, save chopped veggies to sprinkle over top of cooked quesadilla.  I have a few who prefer it one way or the other  in my family.)  Drizzle with ranch dressing and/or salsa (or "cheese" sauce if using) if desired.  Place another tortilla on top.  When bottom is golden brown, flip over and heat other side.  Remove from heat and let sit for just a few minutes.  Cut into sixths (or eighths if using really big tortillas.)  Serve with more ranch/salsa/guacamole for dipping if desired.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...