And while I'm on the topic of oats (because like I said, we love our oats for breakfast-cooked oats, rolled oats, steel cut oats, raw oats...we eat them all kinds of ways.) One of our most favorite ways of all is "cold". Which means uncooked...not cooked and then cold. Eww! My mom introduced it to us a couple years ago and we didn't know what we'd been missing. It's almost like granola but without being baked first I guess. It's very filling and quick when we're running a little late. Hmmmm...maybe that's why we're always eating it this way? Chopping apples is the only prep you have to do. We don't put ANY sweetener on our cold oats. I think it would just ruin it. We like it with raisins (which really sweeten it up), apples, cinnamon (don't skimp!), unsweetened coconut, and chopped walnuts with almond milk or coconut milk the best but we also switch it up with frozen blueberries or dried apricots, etc. Put at least 1/2 a chopped apple in there! It's so good! The only one who can't eat it in our family is the baby...so we just cook his up for him. Forget cold cereals loaded with sugar. You've got to try your oats cold!
"Cold" Oats
1/2 cup dry rolled oats (or more)
1/2 apple, diced
raisins
cinnamon
coconut
chopped walnuts
milk
Combine oats and cinnamon. Stir in other toppings. Pour on the milk and enjoy!


No comments:
Post a Comment