I just got my new Better Homes and Gardens Magazine (November 2010) in the mail yesterday. Flipping through it, I found this $400 prize-winning recipe. (Click HERE for the $200 prize-winning soup.) It's actually called Tomatillo Chicken Soup but since I didn't add the chicken I thought that word had to go. I substituted two cans of Great Northern Beans for the 1 1/2 pounds of boneless chicken breast halves. This is made in the crock pot and my goodness, does it ever smell delicious! So easy and such good flavor! I also substituted vegetable broth for chicken broth. (Great prices on boxes of vegetable broth at Aldi right now! I also got a bag of red, yellow, and orange peppers for under $2. If you haven't been to Aldi yet, people...GO!) The original recipe called for 1 tsp. each of salt and pepper but I thought that seemed like too much. Sooo glad I halved the amounts. It still seemed a tad salty to me. I also thought it seemed too "broth-y" at the end. I like a little thickness to my soup so I scooped out half of the beans (and of course some of the chopped veggies came, too.) and a little of the broth and blended it in my blender. Next time I'll probably just blend one of the cans of beans with some broth at the beginning. I served my soup with these yummy tortillas that were half flour and half corn. So good! The taste of corn with the softness of a flour tortilla. OK, here is the recipe:
Tomatillo Soup
6 medium tomatillos, husks removed and rinsed
2 cans Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
1 32-oz. box vegetable broth
1 medium green sweet pepper, chopped
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 4-oz. can diced green chiles
2 Tbsp. snipped fresh cilantro
1 fresh jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
1 Tbsp. ground cumin
1/2 Tbsp. lime juice
2 tsp. chili powder
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. each salt and pepper
Chop three tomatillos. Place remaining tomatillos in blender. (And I would add one of the cans of beans here, too.) Cover; blend until smooth. In a 3 1/2- or 4-quart crock pot combine pureed and chopped tomatillos, beans, broth, sweet pepper, onion, celery, chiles, cilantro, jalapeño, cumin, lime juice, chili powder, garlic, and salt and pepper.
Cover; cook on low for 6-7 hours or high for 3 to 3 1/2 hours. (Can be cooked less since we're not cooking chicken here.) Top with chopped red sweet pepper, jalapeño peppers, snipped cilantro, warm tortillas and/or tortilla chips. Makes 4-6 servings.

No comments:
Post a Comment