We had these for breakfast this morning and they were so good! Very moist and delicious. I adapted the recipe from this "regular" recipe which called for a lot more bananas. I only had one and it worked great and I could really taste it. I did add the entire can of pineapple so I'm sure that helped make up for the moisture. It also called for 2 cups of sugar and 1 cup of oil! Yikes! I reduced the sugar to 1/2 c. brown sugar and they were still very sweet for us. With all of that pineapple and banana in there, they are naturally sweet. I reduced the oil to 1/4 cup but I think it could definitely be omitted entirely next time. And I used 3 flax "eggs" instead of the 3 regular eggs the recipe called for. I also used 1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour and 1 1/2 cups of spelt flour instead of the all-purpose flour called for in the original recipe. Oh...and I added coconut. So if you want to follow the original recipe then click on the link above. I'm going to post the recipe with the changes I made.
Tropical Muffins
3 Tbsp. ground flax
9 Tbsp. hot water
1-2 bananas, mashed
1 (20 oz.) can crushed pineapple, undrained
1/4 cup oil (optional)
3 cups flour (I used 1/2 spelt and 1/2 white wheat. You could also use all wheat.)
1/2 cup brown sugar (or less depending on how sweet you want them)
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 cup shredded coconut, unsweetened
1 cup finely chopped walnuts
Whisk ground flax with hot water and set aside. In a large bowl stir together flour, sugar, nuts, coconut, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. In separate bowl stir flax "egg" mixture, banana(s), pineapple + juices, and oil until blended. Add all at once to dry ingredients; stir just until moistened. Make sure you don't mix the wet and dry together too much. That's the key to a good muffin! Spoon into greased muffin cups filling two-thirds full. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until tops are firm to the touch.
Yield: 2 1/2 dozen

No comments:
Post a Comment