Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Italian Pasta Salad with Tomato Basil Artichoke Dressing

Last night I had a jar of marinated artichoke hearts that were needing to be used so I invented this little keeper.  I normally don't buy the marinated artichokes but somehow I guess I grabbed the wrong thing during one of my shopping trips.  It turned out so yummy and creamy and full of flavor.  I added lots of fresh basil from my garden.  Sooo delicious!  The fresh garlic does add a bit of "spice" to this so if you want a little less kick you might want to use the minced garlic you can buy in jars.  I'm sure this would be just as good with regular artichoke hearts instead of the marinated ones as well.  They get all blended up anyway.  I served this over a pile of spinach leaves.  Great summer salad!


Italian Pasta Salad with Tomato Basil Artichoke Dressing

1 (16 oz.) package Penne Rigate pasta
1 (12 oz.) jar marinated artichoke hearts, drained
Fresh basil-about 8-10 leaves for sauce and 8-10 for salad, chopped
1 large clove of garlic
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 large vine ripened tomatoes, dice one and set the other aside
1 large cucumber, diced
1 can olived, sliced
Pepper to taste (and salt if you want.  I didn't add any.)

Cook pasta according to directions on package.  Cool.  (I soak mine in the pot with lots of ice and cold water if I'm in a hurry.  Just drain off when ice cold.) 

In a food processor, combine artichoke hearts, garlic, about 10 basil leaves, and a large tomato (not the diced one.  That goes in the salad.)  Blend until smooth and creamy.  While machine is running drizzle in olive oil.

In a large bowl combine pasta, olives, cucumber, diced tomatoes, and chopped basil.  Pour artichoke sauce over top and mix well.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Serve cold.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...