Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Cauliflower and Zucchini Hash over Israeli Couscous

This is a variation of a recipe I found in my June 2011 Better Homes and Gardens magazine.  I don't know if you could really even call it a variation because it was quite the variation.  If you have the magazine you might recognize it by the fact that it has Israeli Couscous and zucchini in it and that's about it.  It was more of an "inspiration" I guess.  Their recipe had zucchini and mangoes and was totally different.  Ha.  But this "variation" was soooo good!  (How many times can I say variation in one post?  That is the question!)  I love the big Israeli Couscous.  It has the best chewiness and texture.  Very fun.  Did you know couscous is actually a pasta?  I found mine in the bulk bins at our new Super Kroger.  I had actually already bought some before I even found this recipe because it looked so good.  I just had to try it.  I used my food processor to chop up my veggies and that saved a lot of time.  The pink things in the picture are grapefruit slices.  We all looove grapefruit and I have to say it was super yummy with this dinner.


Cauliflower and Zucchini Hash over Israeli Couscous

1 head cauliflower, finely chopped
2-3 zucchinis, finely chopped
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
1/2 tsp. chipotle chili pepper seasoning (this does add a lot of heat so you might want to start with less)
1 Tbsp. minced garlic
juice of 1 lime
salt & pepper to taste
sliced avocado
2 cups large Israeli Couscous
1 Tbsp. olive oil
2 1/2 cups water or broth (I used vegetable broth.  Gives it a really good flavor.)

In large saucepan, heat 1 Tbsp. olive oil.  Add the couscous to the pan and sauté for about three minutes or until lightly toasted. Stir in water or vegetable broth.  Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and cook for eight to 10 minutes.

Meanwhile,  sauté chopped zucchini, cauliflower, onion and garlic until tender crisp.  Add broth or water as needed.  Squeeze juice of 1 lime over top.  Add chipotle seasoning, salt & pepper to taste.  Serve warm over warm Israeli Couscous with sliced avocado on top.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...