Monday, January 24, 2011

Red Pepper & Onion Quinoa

My mother-in-law passed this along to me last week.  It was great!  I had everything on hand and dinner was planned by 10:00 am.  I think that's got to be a record for me!  The only thing different that I did was use vegetable bouillon instead of chicken and the only quinoa I had was a pilaf mix that had green, yellow, and red lentils mixed with the quinoa.  I'm sure it didn't change the taste and only added some extra protein and nutrients. :)

Red Pepper & Onion Quinoa


2 Tbsp. Olive Oil
4 finely chopped onions (I used green)
sea salt
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 yellow bell pepper, diced
6 garlic cloves, minced
2 cups quinoa
4 cups water
2 vegetable bouillon cubes (or 2 tsp.)

Rinse quinoa well under running water to remove bitter outer-coating.  Drain in mesh strainer.  In large pot combine quinoa, water, and bouillon cubes.  Bring to boil, reduce heat to simmer, cover with lid and cook for 20 minutes.  While quinoa is cooking, saute red and yellow peppers with garlic and seasonings until tender crisp.  (You don't want mushy veggies!)  Add green onions right at the end. Stir into cooked quinoa to combine.  Serve warm. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...