Sunday, August 29, 2010

Curry Lentils and Rice

Here is another one of our family favorites that I made up a few years ago. Every time I make it the kids go crazy over it! They love it and I love having a different flavor!  Plus it is so easy.  Just get the rice and lentils cooking and the rest is quick to throw together.  This is also a perfect recipe to use leftover cooked brown rice and/or lentils.  Makes it even faster!  



Curry Lentils and Rice

1 1/2 cups uncooked brown rice (or 3 cups cooked)
1/2 cup dried cranberries or raisins (I prefer cranberries)
1/2 cup sliced or slivered almonds, toasted (350 degrees for 6-8 minutes, stir often)
1/2 cup dry lentils, rinsed and sorted
1-2 cups vegetable broth (or water)
2 tsp. curry (microwave for 30 seconds to release flavor oils)
2 cups (16 oz. package) frozen peas and carrots or frozen peas
2-3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast, optional
salt and pepper to taste

Cook brown rice according to package directions. Cook lentils in separate pan according to directions. In a large skillet, add broth, frozen peas and carrots, and 1-2 tsp. curry (microwave first). Add cooked rice and cooked lentils, and craisins. Salt and pepper as needed. Stir in nutritional yeast if using.  Add more broth or water if rice absorbs too much liquid. Serve with toasted almonds on top.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...