Friday, April 27, 2012

Banana Chocolate Chip Millet Muffins

These are reeeeeally good muffins.  I found them on Jen's blog, of course.  And she found them on Peas and Thank You which is one of my favorite food blogs.  So of course they had to be good!  And they were!  I loved the millet in them.  Slightly crunchy.  Yum!  I made a double batch and sent them with my 4th grader, Austin, for his school snack.  He had his state testing this week and all the kids were supposed to bring snacks to keep them "fueled".  So while all of his friends were munching on bags of chips, Twizzlers, and cookies, he brought these yummy muffins, carrot sticks, and air popped popcorn.  He was perfectly happy with his snacks and I'm pretty sure his "fuel" was the good stuff. ;)

*Do you like my Valentine liners?  I always buy them after the holidays when they are all on clearance.  You can get some great prices if you don't mind using holiday themes. :)



Banana Chocolate Chip Millet Muffins

2/3 cup millet
1 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 bananas, mashed
1/2 cup organic brown sugar (maple syrup or coconut sugar)
2 tablespoons canola oil (i use coconut oil)
1/2 cup non-dairy or organic milk
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup non-dairy or organic chocolate chips

-Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
-Measure your millet into a food processor, spice mill or high speed blender and pulse into a fine texture.
-Pour into a large bowl and add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
-Mash bananas, and add to oil, milk, brown sugar and vanilla.
-Fold the wet ingredients into the dry.
-Spoon the batter into the lined muffin cups and top with banana slices.
-Bake 17-19 minutes.

1 comment:

jenhatch said...

Isn't the texture of these from the millet SO good?! I feel like I'm eating crystalized sugar or something! ;-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...