For some reason green bean casserole sounded good to me a few weeks ago. I think I've made it the "old" way (cream of mushroom soup and all) maybe a couple times...in my life! It's not that I don't like it, I just never even think to make it. It's probably because it is not one of my family's "traditional" side dishes. But anyway, it sounded good and it turned out delicious! Best green bean casserole I've ever had! Of course you can leave off the French fried onions on top and it would be much healthier for you. Sprinkle some slivered or sliced almonds or even bread crumbs on top and I think that would be delicious!
Green Bean Casserole
1 cup French fried onions
1 (16 oz.) package mushrooms, diced
1-2 tsp. garlic, minced
3 cans green beans, drained
2 Tbsp. non-dairy butter or oil
5 Tbsp. flour
2 1/2 cups non-dairy milk
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce, optional
salt & pepper to taste
Saute garlic in butter or oil. Whisk in flour and stir for about a minute. Add milk and stir with whisk. Add garlic powder, salt & pepper, and Worcestershire sauce. Continute stirring until mixture comes to a boil. Remove from heat. Stir in mushrooms, half of French fried onions, and green beans. Pour into a casserole dish. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Sprinkle remaining French fried onions (or other topping) evenly over top and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown.


No comments:
Post a Comment