Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Broccoli Mushroom Stir Fry & Stir Fry Sauce

Broccoli and mushrooms are my FAVORITE veggies to stir fry.  Throw in some tofu and I think it's pretty much a perfect dish.  My mom used to make this combo when I was still at home and I was in heaven every time.  Yesterday I was talking to my sister-in-law Wendy about stir fry and got so hungry for it that I made it that night!  I had a new package of mushrooms, a ton of fresh broccoli, and even a container of tofu in my fridge!  In case you haven't noticed, I don't have a lot of tofu recipes on my blog.  I love tofu and our kids love tofu but my husband is not a fan.  I've tried and tried for 10 years now.  I think it's a texture thing.  He says it makes his throat feel weird but if I "sneak" it into a shake or something...he never complains.  Hmmm...It's got to be the texture.  Ha!  But every now and then I just have to make my favorite stir fry.  He's a good sport and eats it along with the rest of us but if a bite of tofu happens to fall off his fork he doesn't go out of his way to scoop it up again.  :)  Of course you could always make this without the tofu.  It would still taste fabulous!  

The stir fry sauce is great and can be used on any stir fry.  I make mine with Bragg's Liquid Aminos* but you can always use Soy Sauce or Tamari Sauce if you'd rather.  I would suggest using low sodium, however.  This can be very salty!  The recipe makes a lot so you might want to either halve the recipe or cook it first and add what you need to your stir fry.  Any leftovers can be stored in the refrigerator for another meal.



Broccoli Mushroom Stir Fry

6 cups broccoli florets (about 4-5 small heads)
10 oz. package mushrooms (I used Baby Bellas but any will work)
1 small onion, cut into 1" pieces
1 zucchini, cut into 1" pieces
1 package firm tofu, drained and diced
2 Tbsp. sesame seeds
cooked brown rice for serving

-Start by making Stir Fry Sauce below.  Set aside.  
-Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok/frying pan over medium to high heat.  Stir fry veggies until tender crisp.  About 2-3 minutes or until the broccoli has softened but still retains some of its crispness.  
-Add tofu and stir fry sauce and mix until everything is hot.  Cook until sauce is thickened.  Serve immediately over brown rice.

Stir Fry Sauce
This recipe makes a lot of sauce!  You can cook it and refrigerate half of it for another meal or just halve the recipe.  I've included the halved amounts on the right side in RED.  I hope this isn't too confusing but sometimes I just need a little sauce.  I used the full batch with this recipe above and it was still a little bit too much.

1/4 cup Bragg's Liquid Aminos* (soy sauce or tamari sauce)-2 Tbsp.
1/2 cup water-1/4 cup
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar-2 Tbsp.
2 Tbsp. agave (honey or sugar)-1 Tbsp.
1 Tbsp. sesame oil-2 tsp.
1 Tbsp. minced garlic-2 tsp.
1/2-1 tsp. ground ginger (or 1 tsp. fresh minced ginger)-1/4-1/2 tsp
2 Tbsp. cornstarch-1 Tbsp.

Combine soy sauce, water, vinegar, sugar, and sesame oil in a bowl.  Whisk in cornstarch and ground ginger.  Mix until dissolved.  Add minced garlic.  At this point you can either bring to a boil in a small saucepan.  Reduce heat to medium and cook for one minute or until thickened.  OR you can omit this step and add right to your stir fry and cook with your vegetables.  That's what I usually do if I'm using the entire recipe.

*Bragg Liquid Aminos is a Certified NON-GMO liquid protein concentrate, derived from soybeans, that contains the following Essential and Non-essential Amino Acids in naturally occurring amounts: Alanine Arginine Aspartic Acid Glutamic Acid Glycine Histidine Isoleucine Lysine Leucine Methionine Phenylalanine Proline Serine Threonine Tyrosine Valine.  Great on Salads & Dressings, Soups, Veggies, Rice & Beans, Tofu, Wok & Stir-frys, Tempeh, Casseroles, Potatoes, Meats, Poultry, Fish, Jerky, Popcorn, Gravies & Sauces, Macrobiotics. Bragg Liquid Aminos are made from health-giving, NON-GMO soybeans and purified water. They are an excellent, healthy, gourmet replacement for Tamari and Soy Sauce. Not fermented or heated.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...